Con Edison Reminds Customers To Conserve Energy And Save
Pre-Summer High Temps and Humidity Continuing
Con Edison urges customers to conserve energy as temperatures reach toward the 90s with high humidity.
Crews are ready to respond to any service problems that occur due to the heat, humidity and increased demand for air conditioning. The coming days could also bring thunderstorms, which can affect the overhead delivery system and cause outages.
The company urges members of the public to stay away from any wires that are downed during storms. Call your local police department or 1-800-75-CO NED (1-800-752-6633) to report downed wires.
Stay Cool, Save Cash
New Yorkers can stay cool and save all summer by following these money-saving conservation tips:
- Set your air conditioner to the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree you lower the thermostat increases costs;
- To reduce heat and moisture in your home, run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s cooler outside;
- When the AC is running, close doors to keep cool air in and hot air out;
- Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed. About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows;
- Even when using AC, use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation;
- Turn off AC units, lights and other appliances when not at home and use a timer to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home;
- Keep AC filters clean.
- Replacing an old air conditioner with a new ENERGY STAR unit can reduce energy usage by 30 percent.
Con Edison offers additional energy savings tips.
Reporting an Outage
Customers can sign up for text alerts at coned.com/text. Customers can also report outages and check service restoration status at conEd.com/reportoutage or with Con Edison’s mobile app for iOS or Android devices, or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633).
Customers who report outages will receive updates from Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available. Information on outages and restoration times is also available at the Con Edison outage map.
Con Edison sent texts to 1.7 million customers to guide them in reporting outages and warn them to stay away from downed wires.
Con Edison’s Energy Efficiency Programs
Con Edison offers customers incentives to make money-saving upgrades to their homes and businesses. For this summer, Con Edison is offering residential customers:
- A $50 discount for buying a smart thermostat at the Con Edison Marketplace and another $85 for registering it with Con Edison’s Bring Your Own Thermostat (BYOT) Program.
- Rebates on heat pumps that can also cool your home.
Con Edison is offering incentives for commercial and industrial customers. They include:
- Cash incentives for installing energy efficient electric and gas equipment.
- Instant lighting incentives.
- Savings for upgrading to more efficient LED lighting. Get up to $300 per LED fixture. See more information on available incentives.
- Small and medium-size businesses can get a free, no-obligation energy assessment of their facility. Con Edison will pay up to 70 percent of the cost for qualified lighting, HVAC, refrigeration and gas system upgrades.
Con Edison is a subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc. [NYSE: ED], one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies, with approximately $12 billion in annual revenues and $62 billion in assets. The utility delivers electricity, natural gas and steam to 3.5 million customers in New York City and Westchester County, N.Y. For financial, operations and customer service information, visit www.conEd.com.