Smart Usage Rewards for Reducing Demand
During peak hours of the summer, we’ll pay you to reduce your energy use temporarily through Smart Usage Rewards. By curbing your electric usage during high-demand periods, you’ll help maintain system reliability in your community.
You can participate in Smart Usage Rewards (Demand Response) by enrolling in our easy programs that alert you to reduce your usage in advance.
- 21 Hour Notifications - Commercial System Relief Program (CSRP)
- 2 Hour or Less Notifications - Distribution Load Relief Program (DLRP)
You can enroll in one or both of our programs through a participating aggregator.
If you can enroll 50 kW or more in our programs, you can enroll directly with Con Edison.
Reservation Payment Option
When you enroll in the Reservation Payment option, you’ll receive monthly payments based on the amount of kW you’ve pledged to reduce upon request, plus additional payments for actual kWh reduced. You’ll receive payments regardless of whether Con Edison requests to reduce electrical usage. Different parts of the city have different needs; as a result, our programs pay different rates for load relief in different networks and boroughs.
|Con Edison Demand Response Reservation Option Incentives|
|Program||Hours of Notification before Event||Monthly Reservation Payment Rate||Performance Payment Rate During DR Events|
|2 Hour Notification Program (DLRP)||2 hours||Tier 1 Networks: $18 / kW / Month
Tier 2 Networks: $25 / kW / Month
|$1 / kWh|
|21 Hour Notification Program (CSRP)||21 Hours||Staten Island and Westchester: $6 / kW / Month
Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens: $18 / kW / Month
|$1 / kWh|
See an example of how much you can make by participating.
|Reservation Payment Option Enrollment Deadlines|
|Program||Hours of Notification before Event||Application Deadline||Program Start Date||Program End Date|
|2 Hour Notification Program (DLRP)||2 hours||April 3
|21 Hour Notification Program (CSRP)||21 Hours||April 3
- In order to participate, you must have a communicating interval meter.
- We require interval data to calculate your customer baseload.
- You can find technical details in the Rider T Tariff
Aggregators must have systems and processes to:
- Respond to Smart Usage Rewards (Demand Response) events pursuant to notification through Con Edison’s prescribed notification system.
- Ensure that enrolled customers respond to Demand Response events within Demand Response program-specific required time periods.
- Electronically submit enrollments to Con Edison using the enrollment system established by Con Edison.