If You Use Life-Support Equipment
If you or a member of your household use life-support equipment, we need to know so we can reach out in an emergency or power outage. It’s important to let us know—even if you don't receive a bill from us because electric is included in your rent.
How to Register Life-Support Equipment
- Log in to My Account and fill out the life-support equipment form.
- Mail or email us your completed registration form and medical certification. Download the life-support equipment form.
- Call us at 1-877-582-6633.
We’re committed to providing the reliable service you expect and deserve. While we do our best to prevent outages and other power problems, we want you to be prepared in case they do occur.
If You Have a Medical Emergency
If you’re dealing with a medical emergency, the last thing you need to worry about is paying your bill. If you are hospitalized for 10 days or more, let us know. We can arrange to give you an extra 30 days to pay your bill.
Call us at 1-877-582-6633 or log in to My Account to complete a Medical Emergency form.
If You’re Blind, Visually, or Hearing Impaired
If you’d prefer to get your bill in large type or Braille, please call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) to enroll in this free service.
Hearing-impaired customers who use telephone-teletype equipment (TDD) can make billing and service inquiries through Con Edison’s toll-free TDD service at 1-877-423-4372.
Read our Accessibility Policy to learn more about our commitment to inclusivity and offering a best-in-class digital experience for everyone.
If You’d Like a Third Party to Get Bill Notices
You can choose a relative, friend, or organization to receive a notice from Con Edison if your bill is overdue and your electric or gas service might be turned off.
The third party is not responsible for paying your bill, but may be able to help resolve the problem. Having a third party involved can be especially helpful if you are ill, elderly, live alone, or travel frequently. Please call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) for more information.
If You’re 62 or Older or Have a Permanent Disability
If you or someone in your household is 62 or older, blind, or has a permanent disability, you may be eligible for special protections and payment programs, including quarterly billing for seniors whose energy bills total less than $420 a year. You can talk to our specially trained representatives about your billing options, governmental assistance programs, and more. It’s free and confidential.
Call Senior Direct toll-free at 1-800-404-9097, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If You’re a Domestic Violence Survivor
If you are a domestic violence survivor and currently share a Con Edison account with your abuser, you have the right to opt out of your energy service contract without fee, penalty, or charge if you provide a written attestation. Please be aware that you may be held responsible for arrears incurred up until your name is removed from the account.
If You Need Help Paying Your Bill
See our payment options page at Payment Plan and Assistance.
If you need help signing up for My Account, using self-service, or getting payment assistance, please call 1-212-358-4565.
If You Run a Religious Organization, Veterans Hall/Post, or Community Residence
If you run a qualifying religious or veterans organization, or supervised/supportive living community residence, you may choose residential or nonresidential rates for each service.
To learn about how your organization can lower its bills, contact us at:
Or call us at 1-877-239-1999
If You Need to Update Your Building’s Emergency Contact Information
If your building fits one of the following categories, we request that you update your emergency contact information semiannually. We’ll use this information to notify your building’s designated contact in the event of a service interruption.
Your emergency contact should be available 24/7 and should be knowledgeable about the electric facilities at the location. We require an individual’s name, not a switchboard or operator number, or security personnel.
Download the form and either email us, fax to (646) 654-2629, or return by mail.
Attn: Central Support Operations
4 Irving Place, 10 FL/SW
New York, NY 10211-0493
- Emergency management offices (e.g. police; fire; EMS operations; communication centers; New York City Housing Authority; cooling centers; government agencies; emergency shelters; military bases; critical flood control structures)
- Hospitals and emergency medical facilities
- Licensed nursing homes and dialysis centers
- Transportation facilities (e.g. tunnels; bridges; LaGuardia and JFK airports; ferry terminals; trains including Long Island Rail Road, PATH, Metro-North, New York City Transit Authority, and Amtrak; fuel transfer and fuel loading facilities/ports)
- Major utility and related facilities (e.g. Con Edison; National Grid; New York Power Authority; independent power producers; Verizon; community access television; charging stations)
- Water pollution control plants and pumping stations
- Research facilities
- Prisons and correctional facilities
- High-rise residential buildings greater than 150 feet (or 12 stories) in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island supplied by secondary service (non-vault) or a transformer
- Residential buildings (6–11 stories) with an elevator in Westchester County
- Large commercial or industrial–billed accounts with a demand in excess of 1,000 kW, high tension services, and 265/460v and 120/208v multibank installations
- Major customers with demand greater than 1,000 kWD
- Communications (e.g. radio, TV, telecommunications)
- Event specific (e.g. arenas, stadiums, street fairs)
- Facilities providing key products and services (e.g. food warehouse and delivery, pharmaceutical manufacturing)
- Managed accounts, large employers
- Government buildings, schools, and colleges