Celebrate Earth Day 2023 At Con Edison’s Clean Energy Exhibit
Company Offering Interactive Experience to Help New Yorkers Understand the Clean Energy Transition
Con Edison invites the public to celebrate Earth Day 2023 by experiencing a multi-sensory exhibit where visitors can learn about the company’s efforts to lead New York’s clean energy transition.
The Clean Energy Headspace will kick off the Earth Day Celebrations on April 16, 2023, from noon to 6 p.m. at East 17th Street and Park Ave South in Union Square Park in Manhattan.
Visitors to Con Edison’s exhibit will hear stories in podcast format from community members discussing Con Edison’s milestone achievements. The Clean Energy Headspace includes personal accounts of how the clean energy transition is positively impacting everything from the oysters living along the Hudson to bodegas.
“From solar farms upstate, to electric vehicle charging stations and the offshore wind turbines being built, we are supporting the transition from fossil fuels to renewables,” said Joe White, distributed generation ombudsman for Con Edison. “The clean energy transition will have an enormous impact on our health, job market, and recreational activities.”
The benefits of the clean energy transition include:
- Increased shoreline resiliency and biodiversity because of Con Edison’s installation of "soft” shorelines with native vegetation.
- Less risk of flooding with the construction of green roofs on new substations.
- Reduced urban heat island effect due to planting trees. That can reduce temperatures by up to 6 degrees.
Additional opportunities to celebrate Earth Day in New York City include:
- Volunteer with Friends of Governors Island and work with the horticulture team to take care of the island’s 120 acres of green space, helping with projects from invasive plant removal to tree care and general spruce up.
- Help at the Climate Arts Festival at the Queens Botanical Garden.
- Learn about the environment while removing invasive plant species with Bronx is Blooming.
- Spend time assisting with arts and crafts, seed planting, escorting groups on a scavenger hunt, sign-in table with the Woodlawn Conservancy.
Con Edison is a subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc. [NYSE: ED], one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies, with approximately $16 billion in annual revenues and $69 billion in assets, as of December 31, 2022. The utility delivers electricity, natural gas and steam, and serves 3.5 million customers in New York City and Westchester County. For financial, operations and customer service information, visit conEd.com. For energy efficiency information, visit coned.com/energyefficiency. Also, visit us on Twitter and Facebook.