Compete in the Wholesale Market With Private Generation
We’re committed to delivering reliable, affordable, safe, and clean energy to our customers. To do that, we are building a bridge to a clean energy future by utilizing a balanced energy mix.
Until recently, most of the energy in the wholesale market was from traditional generation sources, such as coal, oil, and natural gas, and was sold by the entities who controlled those sources. Now, private generation can play a bigger part in the energy grid of the future by competing in the wholesale market.
What is private generation?
Private generation includes, but is not limited to:
- Private solar
- Energy storage, including behind-the-meter batteries
- Electric vehicles and their charging equipment
- Variable generation, such as backup generators
- Thermal storage, such as combined-heat-and-power systems
- Energy efficient technology, such as smart thermostats and appliances
- Smart usage rewards
How to Sell Back the Power You Generate Privately
If you have at least one private generation source, you have the option to partner with an aggregator or become an aggregator to be reimbursed for the power you create through the wholesale market.
Become an Aggregator
Contribute to greater energy grid resilience, lower carbon emissions, and enhanced efficiency in energy usage. Assist in a greener and more flexible energy grid by allowing energy services to move upward from the distribution system to the wholesale market by enabling distributed energy resources (DERs) to make the market more efficient.
Key Eligibility Requirements
- All DER technologies can heterogeneously aggregate to meet RTO/ISO requirements, if aggregation is at least 100 kW in size
- Aggregation of DER Geographically located in NYISO define Transmission Node
- Provide Telemetry values for the aggregation to Consolidated Edison
was this information helpful?