Con Edison Continues to Restore Power After Ferocious Nor'easter
More than 33,200 customers have been restored since Winter Storm Riley hammered the New York City area.
Con Edison continues to assess the extensive damage and is working 24/7 to restore energy to the 70,100 customers without power. The company will provide more detailed restoration times as damage assessments are conducted throughout the day.
Westchester County remains the area most impacted by the nor’easter, where most customers are served by an overhead electrical-delivery system. In Westchester, Con Edison has restored approximately 15,000 customers, currently 59,200 remain out.
Here’s a breakdown of customers out of service in New York City: In the Bronx, approximately 4,400 customers; in Queens, 6,400 customers, in Brooklyn, 150 customers; and in Staten Island, 70 customers.
About 350 Con Edison workers have hit the streets to restore customers since the storm began.
Con Edison reminds customers to report any power outages and to stay away from downed power lines.
Crews give priority to repairs that will provide power to the most customers quickly, then restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Con Edison offers a number of mobile solutions so you can manage your accounts, report and check the status of an outage, learn energy-saving tips, and more. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to sign up for text notifications, and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your Con Edison account number to complete the registration process. Once you've registered, you will not need your account number to report or check the status of a power problem. Or visit us to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, leaves or water. Always stay away from downed power lines because they could be live.
- Report downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are working. Have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on electrical service can be heard on local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips and preparation, go to Con Edison storm safety.
was this information helpful?