Beware of Scammers
Watch out: Scammers are out there pretending to be from Con Edison. Don’t be a victim. Beware of these common scams.
In one of the most prevalent phone scams, a caller may:
- Pretend to be from Con Edison. They may even manipulate your caller ID to display Con Edison’s name.
- Threaten to turn off your power or gas within an hour.
- Demand immediate payment—often by prepaid debit card.
When someone comes to your door claiming to be from Con Edison, ask for credentials. It’s not rude, it’s safe.
How to Recognize Our Employees
Here’s how to tell a real Con Edison employee from a fake one.
- An employee will readily prove their identity. An imposter won’t.
- An employee will wear a photo ID with their name and employee number.
- An employee will gladly give you their supervisor’s name, the unique “ticket” number assigned to your job, and ask you to call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) to verify their identity.