Electric Vehicle Charging Rates Frequently Asked Questions
There are three basic methods of billing for electric delivery service. Many variations and combinations are included in each rate option.
- Fixed charges ($ per month) also known as customer charges
- Volumetric charges ($ per kWh of energy use)
- Demand charges ($ per kW of peak demand)
Your meter measures the average demand (kW) used in every 15-minute interval. Demand charges are based on the average of the two highest consecutive 15-minute interval demands during the period set by the rate.
How demand is measured under each rate:
- Conventional Rate Demand charges are based on the maximum demand for the month.
- Time-of-day Rate Demand charges are based on the maximum demand for each time period, for example, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., or all hours.
- Standby Rate Demand charges are based on a contract demand, which is fixed, and an as-used daily demand, which is the maximum demand for each time period, each day.