Con Edison to Complete Storm Restoration Tonight
Con Edison expects to complete the restoration of customers affected by two major storms by tonight.
As of 7 a.m. this morning, Con Edison was working to restore service to just under 1,900 customers in Westchester.
The company now projects that crews will have completed the repairs and rebuild of the company’s electrical delivery system by this evening, restoring power to about 190,000 customers.
Over 2,900 field workers are working to complete repairs to scattered outages that remain from the March 2 Nor’easter, as well as outages affecting customers impacted by the second storm.
The great majority of the customers affected by the two storms were in Westchester County, where high, sustained winds and heavy, wet snow brought down trees and branches. Those trees and branches fell into overhead wires, bringing the wires, along with poles and transformers in many instances, down onto streets and sidewalks.
The company brought in mutual aid workers from 20 states and Canada to work around the clock on untangling wires, removing trees and re-building a large portion of the electrical delivery system.
Together, the two storms caused more outages in Westchester than Hurricane Irene did in August 2011.
Meanwhile, Con Edison is monitoring the weather that may hit the New York area next week. The forecast says light snow is possible on Monday with possible snow showers later in the week.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power. Technical issues affecting the company’s website and outage map were corrected overnight.
Con Edison offers a number of mobile solutions so you can manage your accounts, report and check the status of an outage, learn energy-saving tips, and more. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to sign up for text notifications, and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your Con Edison account number to complete the registration process. Once you've registered, you will not need your account number to report or check the status of a power problem. Or visit us here to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips:
- Do not go near downed wires because they could be live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are working. Have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on electrical service can be heard on local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips, go to Con Edison storm safety.
¿Fue útil esta información?