Statement From Con Edison
We’ve had many productive discussions with the MTA on steps we can take together to help improve service for riders. We have also established a dedicated project team of planners, engineers and power quality experts who are working full-time to identify opportunities to improve Con Edison’s support of the region’s mass transportation network.
Among other steps, we are:
- Identifying subway stations and other MTA facilities where design changes or equipment upgrades can be made with power line connections that will help prevent service interruptions to signals or track systems.
- Inspecting all NYC Transit signal-related structures in our service area. Working with priorities established by the MTA, we’ve completed inspections of more than half of the approximately 1,100 Con Edison structures that serve signal systems at MTA stations. During each inspection, crews are performing any needed repairs or equipment upgrades, and installing signage identifying the structures as key support systems for NYC Transit signals. We are also installing monitoring devices that will help us proactively deploy crews once even small defects are detected.
- Accelerating our planned installation of smart meters and advanced communications technology in the subway system. We anticipate Manhattan and Brooklyn smart meters will be installed by the end of January 2018 and Bronx and Queens smart meter installation to be completed by mid-March 2018. This system will provide Con Edison control rooms with near-immediate notification of equipment and/or power quality issues.
- Replacing selected vulnerable secondary cable feeding their stations and on the blocks outside these stations. We plan to complete this work at approximately 50 critical stations identified by the MTA by the end of 2017.
- Developing a plan with the MTA to maintain a supply of generators that can be deployed immediately to respond to service disruptions.
- Working to better understand how power quality issues affect train operations, and identify ways to remedy those issues.
¿Fue útil esta información?