Help During the Covid-19 Pandemic
Get Help Paying Your Bills
Under the law, if you are a residential customer and contact us to affirm that you experienced a change in financial circumstances as a result of Covid-19 starting on or after March 7, 2020:
- We will not disconnect your service for non-payment through December 21, 2021.
- You will be eligible for a payment agreement or to request a new agreement that requires no down payment, late fees, or penalties.
To self-certify, you must attest as follows: “I attest that due to the COVID-19 state of emergency, which began on March 7, 2020, I have experienced a change in financial circumstances.”
Other ways we’re trying to help:
- Allowing most customers to make a fee-free payment with a credit or debit card (excludes large commercial customers).
- Offering payment plans and assistance programs that may help you bring down your energy bills, including payment agreements to help you pay down your outstanding balance in manageable monthly installments.
- Providing eligible customers who receive benefits from specific governmental assistance programs monthly discounts on their energy bill and more. See if you qualify.
NYS Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The New York State Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) offers residential tenants assistance with payment of their rent and energy bills. Please go to otda.ny.gov or call 1-844-NY1-RENT (1-844-691-7368).
Financial Support for Your Business
Under the law, you may be eligible to avoid disconnection of your service for non-payment through December 21, 2021. To qualify, you must confirm you have experienced a change in financial circumstances because of the COVID-19 pandemic starting on or after March 7, 2020 and:
- are a small-business customer with 25 employees or fewer;
- are not a publicly held company, or a subsidiary thereof;
- are not a seasonal, short-term, or temporary Con Edison customer;
- are not a high-energy-use customer, as defined by the New York Public Service Commission, and;
- are not a customer who has the resources available to pay their bill. If you meet these conditions, please call us at 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) to receive these protections.
As a New York business, you may also be eligible for the following governmental programs that support businesses financially impacted by COVID-19:
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority
- Department of Financial Services
- New York State COVID-19 Pandemic Small Business Recovery Grant Program
Other ways we’re trying to help local businesses get back on track:
- Offering no-fee, 12-month payment arrangements with a 15% down payment. Log in to see your options and set up a payment agreement today.
- Need a few more days to pay your bill? No problem. Log in to schedule an extension.
- Covering approximately half the cost to upgrade to energy-saving equipment. See how much you can save by taking our free, no-obligation energy assessment today.
Putting Safety First
We’re not expecting any service interruptions because of the pandemic, but we have made some operational changes to protect you and our workforce:
- Walk-in centers are closed.
- Our call center is open, but wait times may be longer than usual.
The best way to do business with us is through My Account. Setting up your online account only takes a minute. Just enter your email address and create a password. Get started.
We’re committed to getting our essential work done within CDC health and safety guidelines. Here are four things you should know about our COVID-19 response:
- Our employees are instructed to remain home if they are not feeling well, have a fever or any other symptom associated with COVID-19.
- Government regulations do not require Con Edison employees to present proof of vaccination before entering a home or business for energy-related activities. However, our employees will wear a face covering while working indoors and maintain a six-foot social distance, wherever possible.
- Please note that there are times our employees may need to remove face coverings to put on other personal protective equipment required to safely work on live electric, gas, or steam systems.
- To eliminate exposure to and spread of the virus, we ask that if someone inside is ill with, recovering from, or under quarantine because of potential exposure to COVID-19 that you call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) before your meter reading or service appointment.
If you can access your meter, and prefer to, you can submit your own reading.
Thinking about starting a home or business improvement project? Please call 811 before you dig. Even now, we’ll mark dangerous underground pipes and wires. It’s free.
Save Energy While Staying at Home
Start with these simple ideas to lower your energy bill, and then log into My Account to get dozens of personalized tips based on your energy habits.
Share your favorite tips with your neighbors, friends, and @ConEdison on social media and tag them #PoweringThruTogether
Beware of Scams, Especially Now
- Beware of anyone demanding payment or threatening to disconnect your service. You are not going to lose your power even if you can’t pay your bill now.
- If anyone asks you for money for new meters, that’s bogus. We don’t charge for meters.
- If someone comes to your door, verify they are who they say they are. If someone claims to be from Con Edison, call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) and check the employee’s name and ID#.
- We never accept payment by cash apps such as Venmo, Zelle, or bitcoin. We only accept online payments through conEd.com and conEd.com/GuestPayment.
- Got a suspicious email from Con Edison? Don’t click any links you’re unsure about.
Share these tips with your family members, friends, and the elderly.
Outdoor Dining Safety Requirements for Restaurants and Cafes
Most of our electric, gas, and steam distribution systems are underneath city streets and sidewalks. We access these systems through covers, such as manhole covers, ventilation grates, and valve covers. For your safety and to maintain the reliability of our systems, we need to have clear access to these covers 24/7.
was this information helpful?