Don't Take Chances: Con Edison Reminds Customers To Report Gas Odors
Con Edison crews remain at the site of this week's buildings explosion and collapse in East Harlem seeking to restore gas and electric service to other impacted buildings, while also working with federal, state and local agencies on the investigation.
The utility is also working with the Red Cross and city agencies, providing assistance for living expenses to residents and families from the area whose buildings were evacuated due to the explosion.
The company reminds customers to call 1-800-75CONED if they smell gas. Click here to view a video on gas safety: (http://bcove.me/cc1usj6o)
Con Edison offers customers a number of gas safety tips. When you suspect a gas leak you should:
- Leave your home immediately and take others with you. If outside, get well away from where you suspect the gas is leaking.
- Open windows before you leave if the odor is faint.
- Call us at 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) once safely away from the leak. (National Grid customers should call 1-718-643-4050.)
- Tell us if there is also a problem with your electric service.
- NOT do anything to create a spark that could cause an explosion, such as lighting a match, turning appliances on or off, using a phone or cell phone. Do not ring a doorbell or start a car.
Here are links to information on gas safety:
Con Edison operates approximately 4,300 miles of natural gas mains in Manhattan, the Bronx, parts of Queens, and Westchester County. The company inspects and monitors the system for potential gas leaks throughout the year.