Con Edison Preparing for Weekend Storms
Public Reminded to Avoid Downed Wires, Report Outages
Con Edison crews will be prepared to respond to any electric service problems caused by the heavy rain, thunderstorms and gusting winds forecast to hit the region Friday night and Saturday.
Con Edison urges customers to stay away from downed wires. Do not try to touch or move them. Call Con Edison or your local police department if you see downed wires.
Customers should report outages at conEd.com, or with our mobile app for iOS or Android devices, or call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When calling, customers should report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Strong winds can push trees and branches into overhead power lines and bring those lines down, causing customers to lose service.
Crews will prioritize restoring lines that will provide power to the most customers quickly, then restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them because they could be live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with your hands or any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden by tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately.
- If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Make sure your flashlights and any televisions or battery-operated radios are working. Have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news about electrical service can be heard on local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips and preparation, or to view the company’s online outage map, go to Con Edison storm safety.
- Customers can visit Con Edison’s website for information on how to prepare for a possible power outage, step-by-step instructions for dealing with a power outage, to see how we respond to outages and more.
¿Fue útil esta información?