Prep Your Home For Winter With Six Easy Tips
Heating Bills Expected to Be Slightly Higher This Year
Fall is the time to winterize your home in preparation for the heating season. Con Edison is offering easy tips to stay warm while saving money this winter. Click here for tips to save energy all year long.
The company estimates residential heating bills will be about 4.9 percent higher this winter than last due to higher delivery rates and an increase in natural gas prices. The higher bill projections for the coming heating season have been partly offset by the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017.
Con Edison does not control the price of natural gas, and Con Edison makes no profit on the gas it delivers to customers. Con Edison analyzes supply and demand forecasts and uses a variety of buying methods, including short-term and long-term contracts, to get the best gas prices for its customers. Those prices are passed on to customers at cost.
The average residential gas-heating bill from November 2018 through March 2019 will be about $255 per month, according to the company’s projections, up from $243 last year. That estimate is based on average monthly usage of 168 therms and assumes normal winter weather.
Con Edison has tight but adequate natural gas supplies for the company’s 1.1 million gas customers, approximately 370,000 of whom use gas for home heating in Manhattan, the Bronx, Westchester County, and parts of Queens.
Customers can save money on heating by using these tips:
- Install an ENERGY STAR® thermostat and get a $50 rebate check. Lower your thermostat. Each degree over 68°F can increase your energy usage by 3 percent.
- Keep ducts and vents clean. Your heating system will run more efficiently, and it might last longer.
- Upgrade Heating and Cooling Equipment. Switch to a more cost-efficient HVAC energy system. Go here to get started.
- Consider washing clothes in cold water. Switching your temperature setting from hot to cold can cut energy use in half for washing one load.
- Head over to Con Edison’s Marketplace where you can shop for energy-saving appliances and products.
Con Edison is a subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc. [NYSE: ED], one of the nation’s largest investor-owned energy companies, with approximately $12 billion in annual revenues and $49 billion in assets. The utility delivers electricity, natural gas and steam to 3.4 million customers in New York City and Westchester County, N.Y. For financial, operations and customer service information, visit conEd.com. For energy efficiency information, visit coned.com/energyefficiency. Also, visit us on Twitter and Facebook.
¿Fue útil esta información?