Statement From Con Edison Re: East Harlem Settlement
The East Harlem tragedy and ensuing investigations by Con Edison and other agencies have led to significant safety improvements and heightened public awareness. Today’s agreement will enhance those efforts even further.
Since that event, we have launched or expanded many proactive safety measures:
- We fund an effective public awareness campaign called “Smell Gas, Act Fast.”
- We continue performing monthly gas leak patrols of our entire gas distribution system.
- We worked closely with the city to enact new legislation governing the inspection of gas piping in buildings and encouraging the development of methane detectors.
- We have established enhanced response procedures with the Fire Department.
- We are working closely with the city on coordinating excavations of street infrastructure projects.
We also want to emphasize once again the importance of the public calling 911 or their local gas utility right away at the first sign of a gas odor. Learn more on our website at coned.com/en/safety/safety/gas-safety
¿Fue útil esta información?