Smart Usage Rewards for Reducing Gas Demand
How It Works
By curbing your usage during high-demand periods, you’ll help maintain system reliability and reduce natural gas prices in your community.
For every 100 therms per day you pledge to reduce, you’ll be able to earn up to $4,500 per winter. Residential customers and small businesses may participate in our Smart Thermostat program.
This pilot is part of Smart Solutions for Natural Gas Customers, a proactive, multi-solution strategy to decrease gas usage and procure alternative resources.
How to Apply
Reservation Payment Option
When you enroll, you’ll receive a yearly payment based on the amount of therms you’ve pledged to reduce upon request for each month of participation in the capability period, plus additional payments for actual therms reduced during events.
What to Expect
You’ll receive an alert 21 hours prior to the 24-hour event. During the event, your consumption will be measured using our customer baseline methodology (appendix F) over a 24-hour period, starting at 10 a.m. and ending at 10 a.m. the following day.
Strategies to Reduce Your Gas Usage
- Lower the temperature of heating systems
- Switch to electric and/or steam heating temporarily
- Reduce process load
- Adjust water heating temperature
- Curtail your use of combined heat and power
Please note: You may not switch to liquid fossil fuels to participate. All changes should take into consideration occupant safety and comply with local, state, and federal laws.
Different parts of the service territory have different needs. As a result, our pilot pays different rates for load relief in different zones. See Appendix A to learn more.
|Con Edison Demand Response Payment Options by Zones|
|Program||Hours of Notification before Event||Monthly Reservation Payment Rate||Performance Payment Rate During DR Events|
|Gas Demand Response Pilot||21 hours||
Zone A: $9 / therm / event / month;
Zone B: $5 / therm / event / month
|$1 / therm|
See an example of how much you can make by participating.
|Reservation Payment Option Enrollment Deadlines|
|Application Deadline||Start Date||End Date|
|Reservation Participation*||October 1 and November 1||November 1 and December 1||March 31|
*Voluntary participation is accepted throughout the season.
Review the Pilot Guidelines.
You must take firm gas delivery service from Con Edison in the value zones identified in Appendix A.
You must have one of the four metering options listed below:
- Smart Meter
- Customer-owned consumption recording device: Some customers have consumption recording devices such as BMS/EMS systems that are connected directly to the Con Edison gas meter. Data submitted from these systems to Con Edison will be accepted and the data is subject to measurement and verification checks.
- Volume corrector: Many large gas customers have volume correctors on their meter to correct for gas pressure and temperature. These meters have the ability to record hourly interval data that will be extracted annually by Con Edison employees.
- Smart Meter Interface Management Unit (IMU): Customers who don’t have options above but consume more the 4,000 therms per month can request an IMU to participate in the pilot. These devices have the ability to record hourly interval data that will be extracted monthly by Con Edison.