Rate Options for EV Owners Charging at Home
If you install a home charger, the cost of charging your electric vehicle will be based on the rate you currently pay for electric service.
Standard Residential Rate*
The price you pay (per kilowatt-hour) for supply and delivery is based on the season and how much electricity you use, no matter the time of day or night.
|Standard Delivery Periods||Rates <250 kWh||Rates >250 kWh|
|June 1 to Sept 30||11.976 cents/kWh||13.766 cents/kWh|
|All other months||11.976 cents/kWh||11.976 cents/kWh|
The monthly customer charge is $16.50 under the standard residential rate.
In addition to delivery, you will also be charged for electricity supply, which fluctuates based on market prices. For historical supply pricing, use our Market Supply Calculator. You can also purchase supply from an energy service company.
Time of Use Rates
There are two ways to save as an electric vehicle owner under our time of use rates.
1) Residential Time-of-Use With One-Year Price Guarantee and Reduced Monthly Customer Charge
You can switch your whole home to our time-of-use rate for one year with no risk. After you’ve been billed on time-of-use for 12 months, we’ll compare what you paid under time-of-use rate with what you would have paid under our standard residential rate. If you paid more, we’ll credit your account for the difference.
- If you’re a full-service Con Edison customer and you switch to the time-of-use rate, you must remain on the time-of-use rate for one year from the date of the switch.
- If you then switch back to the standard residential rate, you will be unable to re-enroll in the time-of-use rate for 18 months.
- If you get your energy from an energy service company, you’re not bound by the one-year requirement so long as you do not become a full-service Con Edison customer. However, like those on full service, if you get your energy from an energy service company, you won’t be able to re-enroll in the time-of-use rate for 18 months if you switch back to the standard rate.
To apply, email us the following:
- Your name, Con Edison account number, and phone number. To retrieve your account number, log in to My Account or check your bill.
- A signed, written request to be billed under the voluntary time-of-use rate.
- Please specify if you have solar panels installed at your home or are in the process of installing solar panels.
- A copy of your electric vehicle registration document with an address that matches the service address of your Con Edison account. If your registration doesn't match the service address, please provide a copy of your registration along with other documentation verifying that the electric vehicle will be charged at your home.
2) Second Meter for Electric Vehicles Only
You can install a separate residential meter solely to charge your electric vehicle, even if you live in an apartment complex. You’ll need to hire a licensed electrician to do the necessary wiring, and to install a new meter pan and panel. But if you do, you can separately meter your electric vehicle using a time-of-use rate, which can reduce off-peak charging cost.
If you have a dedicated meter for residential electric vehicle charging, you will not be eligible for the price guarantee.How to Apply
To apply, you’ll need to:
- Ask your electrician to submit a work request through Project Center.
- Email us a copy of your electric vehicle registration annually.
Time-of-Use Periods and Delivery Rates for Both Residential Time-of-Use Options*
|Time-of-Use Periods||Peak Time-of-Use Rates
8 a.m. to Midnight
|Off-Peak Time-of-Use Rates
Midnight to 8 a.m.
|June 1 to Sept 30||23.84 cents/kWh||1.68 cents/kWh|
|All other months||8.82 cents/kWh||1.68 cents/kWh|
The monthly customer charge is $16.50 under the residential time-of-use rate.*
Electricity supply is an additional cost. Summer super-peak pricing is in effect from June through September on weekdays between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Super-peak charges are significantly higher than supply charges during the rest of the day. Super-peak pricing does not apply to customers who purchase their electricity supply from energy service companies.*Electric vehicle owners on the residential time-of-use rate are eligible for a reduced monthly customer charge. Instead of $20.96, you’ll be charged $16.50 if you email us a copy of your electric vehicle registration document together with your account number annually every March. If you have an electric-vehicle-only meter and fail to submit your vehicle registration document together with your account number annually, your account may revert to a small business rate, which has a higher monthly customer charge of $28.10.
was this information helpful?