Con Edison Gears Up for Snow & Freezing Rain Storm
Stay Safe & Remember to Report Outages
Con Edison is closely monitoring the approaching snow and freezing rain storm that is expected to hit our region this weekend. The company reminds customers to stay safe and report any power outages.
Customers can report outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com/reportoutage, or with our mobile app for iOS or Android devices, or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When calling, customers should report whether their neighbors also have lost power. Customers who report outages will receive updates with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Snow and wind can cause trees and branches to fall and strike power lines, leading to outages. Road salt can mix with melting snow and can damage underground electrical wiring, causing outages as well.
If there is storm damage to electrical equipment, crews will give priority to restoring service lines that will provide power to the most customers as quickly as possible, then move on to restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
Or visit us here to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips to customers to help weather the possible effects of a storm:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Treat all downed wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, or water.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Check to make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are in working order. Make sure you have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on restorations of electrical service can be heard on most local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips and preparation, go to www.conEd.com
In addition, the company is in close contact with the New York City Office of Emergency Management and the Westchester County Department of Emergency Services to coordinate storm-response if needed.