Con Edison Prepares for Spring Storm, Urges Customers to Take Safety Precautions
Con Edison crews are preparing to respond to any outages that occur today or tomorrow due to the severe rain and windstorms expected to hit New York City and Westchester County. Con Edison reminds customers to report any power outages and to stay away from downed power lines.
Crews give priority to repairs that will provide power to the most customers quickly, and then restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633. When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Con Edison offers a number of mobile solutions so you can manage your accounts, report and check the status of an outage, learn energy-saving tips, and more. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to sign up for text notifications, and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your Con Edison account number to complete the registration process. Once you've registered, you will not need your account number to report or check the status of a power problem. Or visit us here to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips:
- Do not go near downed wires because they could be live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are working. Have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on electrical service can be heard on local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips, go to Con Edison storm safety.
was this information helpful?