Con Edison Crews Battling Conditions
Con Edison crews have restored power to over 19,000 customers who lost service since Winter Storm Riley rolled into the New York City area.
Crews remain on the job in the windy, wet conditions working to restore service to approximately 71,000 customers without power.
The storm has had its biggest impact in Westchester County, where most customers are served by an overhead electrical-delivery system. In Westchester, Con Edison has restored power to customers and is working to restore approximately 53,400 customers still out.
Here’s a breakdown of customers out of service in New York City: In the Bronx, approximately 6,700 customers; in Queens, 8,600 customers, in Brooklyn, 185 customers; and in Staten Island, 2,360 customers.
About 350 Con Edison workers have hit the streets to restore customers since the storm began.
Con Edison reminds customers to report any power outages and to stay away from downed power lines.
Crews give priority to repairs that will provide power to the most customers quickly, then restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Con Edison offers a number of mobile solutions so you can manage your accounts, report and check the status of an outage, learn energy-saving tips, and more. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to sign up for text notifications, and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your Con Edison account number to complete the registration process. Once you've registered, you will not need your account number to report or check the status of a power problem. Or visit us here to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.
Con edison offers the following storm tips:
- Do not go near downed wires because they could be live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are working. Have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on electrical service can be heard on local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips, go to Con Edison storm safety.
was this information helpful?