Con Edison Ready For Triple-Threat Storm
Customers Advised To Stay Safe, Report Outages
With strong winds, heavy rain, and possibly snow expected to impact the New York area tonight and over the weekend, Con Edison reminds customers to report any power outages and to stay away from downed power lines.
Severe weather can affect both overhead and underground electrical delivery service. Strong winds could knock trees into overhead power lines. Also, residual road salt and melting snow could infiltrate manholes, possibly causing outages.
Con Edison crews are ready to respond to any service problems that may arise.
Crews will give priority to restoring service lines that will provide power to the most customers quickly, then restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Con Edison offers a number of mobile solutions so you can manage your accounts, report and check the status of an outage, learn energy-saving tips, and more. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to sign up for text notifications, and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your Con Edison account number to complete the registration process. Once you've registered, you will not need your account number to report or check the status of a power problem. Or visit us to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, leaves or water. Always stay away from downed power lines because they could be live.
- Report downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are working. Have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on electrical service can be heard on local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips and preparation, go to Con Edison storm safety.