$ave Some Green This Holiday Season
Con Edison Media Relations -- As the season of decorating and entertaining begins, Con Edison reminds customers to put energy savings and safety first.
Be sure to follow these tips and ideas to deck the house in savings:
- Using LED lights can help your wallet and the environment. They are 90 percent more efficient than traditional sources and can last for up to 20 holiday seasons.
- Plug indoor and outdoor lights into a timer set to run during the early evening hours.
- When using the oven, check cooking progress by looking through the window. Opening the oven door for even a few seconds lowers the inside temperature by as much as 25 degrees.
- Run the dishwasher with a full load to optimize efficiency. One dishwasher cycle uses 37 percent less water than hand-washing.
- Send your holiday greetings electronically.
- If buying or receiving gifts that require batteries, consider purchasing rechargeable batteries and a charger.
Additional energy efficiency tips are also found on Con Edison’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ConEdison or on Twitter @ConEdison.
Con Edison also reminds customers to make safety a top priority when installing their holiday lights and offers these tips:
- Make sure that holiday lights carry the seal of approval of a recognized safety-testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Use no more than three standard-sized sets of lights per extension cord. To avoid electric overloads, use extension cords sparingly.
- Outdoor displays require outdoor, exterior-rated extension cords, fixtures, and bulbs.
- Before reusing electrical devices kept in storage, inspect for worn or frayed areas and breaks or brittleness, particularly at the plugs and connections. Replace defective lights and cords. Throw out any frayed wires or extension cords.
- Make sure lights used to decorate the outside of the house are approved for outdoor use. Never use indoor lights outdoors.
- Do not place cords around or near metal pipes, appliances, or anything that is damp or metallic. Turn off electrical devices when making adjustments.
Con Edison is also helping customers make their home or business more energy efficient. A list of programs can be found at www.conEd.com/greenteam or by calling the Green Team at 1-877-870-6118.
was this information helpful?