Con Edison Gears Up for Another Wintry Mix of Ice and Snow
A wintry mix of snow and freezing rain expected overnight and tomorrow could lead to power outages, and Con Edison reminds customers to stay safe and keep away from any downed power lines.
Heavy accumulation of snow and ice on tree branches could snap limbs or bring down trees onto power lines, causing customers to lose power. Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status at (www.conEd.com) or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Also, download Con Edison's new free iPhone and Android app, My conEdison, to report and check the status of a power problem, and view the company's interactive online outage map. Con Edison offers the following storm tips to customers to help weather the possible effects of a storm:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Treat all downed wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you're in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Check to make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are in working order. Make sure you have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on restorations of electrical service can be heard on most local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips and preparation, go to www.conEd.com
Customers can follow Con Edison on Twitter or like us on Facebook for general outage updates, safety tips and storm preparation information.
was this information helpful?
In addition, the company is in close contact with the New York City Office of Emergency Management and the Westchester County Department of Emergency Services to coordinate storm-response if needed.