Food and Water Safety
Keep food fresh during a storm
Follow the guidelines below to ensure the safety of you and your family.
- Keep freezer and refrigerator doors shut. Each time you open the door cold air escapes and speeds the thawing process.
- Food will remain frozen between 36 and 48 hours in a fully loaded freezer and up to 24 hours if the freezer is half full.
- Different types of food thaw at different rates. If you have doubts about whether or not something is safe to eat, err on the side of caution and throw it out.
- If you are heating or cooking food, be sure your cooking device is properly ventilated. Do not use outdoor grills or charcoal fueled devices indoors.
Spoiled food after a power outage? File a claim .
- If your water service depends on electrical equipment, make sure to stock up on plenty of bottled water ahead of time.
- Fill spare containers and bathtubs so that you have plenty of water for cooking and washing.