Con Edison Media Relations
September 19, 2012
POWER RESTORATION CONTINUES IN WESTCHESTER AFTER STORM
NEW YORK – Con Edison crews have restored power to more than 19,000 customers in Westchester County who lost power in yesterday's powerful storm. Approximately 4,300 customers remain without electricity as of 11 a.m. today. Con Edison expects to have all of its Westchester customers back by 11 p.m. tonight.
Approximately 4,500 customers in New York City were affected; all but 300 have been restored.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status online by computer or mobile device at www.conEd.com.They can also call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, have your Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether your neighbors have also lost power. Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Depending on the severity of storm damage, crews will give priority to restoring service lines that will provide power to the most customers as quickly as possible, then move on to restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
Con Edison offers the following safety tips:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Treat all downed wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with your hands or any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you're in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Check to make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios are in working order. Make sure you have a supply of extra batteries.
- Weather updates and news on restorations of electrical service can be heard on most local radio and television stations.
For more tips on storm preparation, go to www.conEd.com. The company is in close contact with the New York City Office of Emergency Management and the Westchester County Department of Emergency Services to coordinate storm response.