Con Edison Media Relations
July 6, 2012
CON EDISON OFFERS CUSTOMERS ENERGY SAVINGS TIPS FOR THE WEEKEND
NEW YORK – With extremely high temperatures forecasted for tomorrow, Con Edison is offering energy-savings tips to help customers save money while staying cool.
Customers can report power interruptions or service problems, view service restoration information and the outage map online at www.conEd.com, as well as on their mobile devices. They also may call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-663) promptly if they are experiencing any service difficulties. When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power. Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Some energy saving steps include:
- Making sure air conditioner filters are clean for peak efficiency;
- Setting thermostats no lower than 78 degrees. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
- Closing off the rooms not being used if you have a room air-conditioner; if you have central air, block the vents in unused or vacant rooms;
- Turning off lights and other appliances, using a timer to turn them on as necessary;
- Running appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when itís generally cooler;
- Accepting Con Edisonís offer of a free programmable thermostat if you have central air conditioning. Program the thermostat manually or from the Internet. Turning off your air conditioner when you are not there beats leaving it on all the time, and programming it instead to turn on before you return is a wise way to save on summer electric bills. To learn more about Con Edisonís free programmable thermostat, call 1-866-521-8600 or visit www.conEd.com/cool.
Con Edison also reminds customers that $25 rebates are available for customers who invest in cost-cutting Energy Star-rated room air conditioners. Applications for the $25 rebate can be downloaded at www.conEd.com/cool/roomacrebates.
Con Edisonís Green Team continues to offer a host of energy-savings programs for homes and businesses. Customers can take steps to reduce energy usage this summer with rebates and incentives now available for energy-efficient appliances and cooling systems in their homes and businesses. To learn more or enroll, go to www.conEd.com/GreenTeam or call 1-877-870-6118.
Energy-savings tips are also available on Facebook at Power of Green, on Twitter @ConEdison, @ConEdLiz, and @ConEdSara and by downloading the company's power of Green iPhone app.