Con Edison Media Relations
For Immediate Release: July 23, 2010
BAKED APPLE & T'STORMS:
CON EDISON READY & URGES CONSERVATION
NEW YORK — While Mother Nature winds up a one-two punch of steamy temperatures and possible thunderstorms this weekend, Con Edison is mobilizing extra crews and support personnel to work around the clock to respond to service problems.
The company is also turning to its customers again for help. Earlier this month, when a prolonged wave of heat and humidity baked the New York region, Con Edison’s customers responded to calls for conservation, helping to avoid large-scale outages.
Con Edison continues to urge New Yorkers to set air conditioner thermostats to 78 degrees, to turn off air conditioning when they are leaving rooms or leaving home, and also urges merchants not to blast A/C out of open storefronts.
Here are some more “cool” tips:
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean for peak efficiency;
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
- Close off rooms not being used if you have a room air-conditioner; if you have central air, block the vents in unused or vacant rooms;
- Turn off lights and other appliances, using a timer to turn them on as necessary;
- Run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s generally cooler. Another alternative: use a microwave to cook, or a barbecue outside, if possible.
Accept Con Edison’s offer of a free programmable thermostat if you have central air conditioning. Program the thermostat manually or from the Internet. Turning off your air conditioner when you’re not there beats leaving it on all the time, and programming it instead to turn on before you return is a wise way to save on summer electric bills. To learn more about Con Edison’s free programmable thermostat, call 1-866-521-8600 or visit www.conEd.com/cool.
Energy-savings tips are also available on Facebook at Power of Green, on Twitter @ConEdLiz and @ConEdSara and by downloading the company’s Power of Green iPhone app.
Con Edison urges customers to call 1-800-75-CONED promptly if they are experiencing any service difficulties. Customers can also report power interruptions or service problems, as well as view service restoration information online at www.conEd.com, and on their cell phones and PDAs.