Consolidated Edison Company of New York newsroom header image


Translate the page


Con Edison Media Relations
For Immediate Release: July 8, 2010
4:00 p.m.


NEW YORK — Two Con Edison employees, who sweated through brutal heat this week to keep the lights on for New Yorkers, capped their shift today by saving a woman from a Brooklyn fire.

Before sunrise, Mechanic Jose Morales and Splicer Michael Ford emerged from a manhole near 198 Wilson St., where they had just restored electricity to a building. During an inspection inside the building, they spotted smoke coming from an upper-floor apartment. They banged on doors and rousted residents.

Morales got trapped by the fire and helped one of the residents to the roof. She apparently collapsed and he began CPR.  Meanwhile, Ford alerted firefighters that his partner was trapped on the roof with a woman who needed additional first aid.

FDNY – EMS transported Morales to the Cornell Burn Unit, where he was treated for facial burns. Ford had smoke inhalation and was treated and released from Brooklyn Hospital.

All Con Edison field employees are required to take CPR and first aid training annually. Both men had completed their annual training this spring.

Brooklyn-Queens Electric Operations Vice President Thomas Newell hailed his employees as heroes. “Not thinking twice and armed with Con Edison first aid skills, the quick action by Morales and Ford helped save a woman’s life. Their actions are the best examples of the company’s commitment to New Yorkers 24-7.”

Morales has worked for Con Edison for 26 years; Ford for nine years.

contact us   |   search   |   careers   |   site map   |   consolidated edison, inc.   |   privacy policy