Con Edison Media Relations
For Immediate Release: April 20, 2010
CON EDISON CELEBRATES 40 YEARS OF EARTH DAY
Easy Ways to Conserve Energy & Save Money
NEW YORK — At Con Edison, every day is Earth Day, and that's never more true than this April 22, 2010 – the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day.
To encourage customers to save energy and celebrate their savings, the company offers a few simple steps to help conserve the planet's resources:
- Pay your Con Edison bill online and help plant trees by registering for the e*bill program. Visit www.conEd.com/ebill to learn how to enroll.
- Your cell phone only takes a couple of hours to charge, so don't leave it plugged in overnight.
- As the days get hotter, close curtains to block out the sun and stop it from heating up your home.
- Drive off as soon as you start your car's engine. Modern engines don't need much time to warm up, so idling creates unnecessary pollution and mechanical wear.
- Choose ENERGY STAR-qualified appliances, which use 10 to 50 percent less electricity than standard models. A list of ENERGY STAR products is available at http://www.energystar.gov. Con Edison was one of the founders of the ENERGY STAR program.
For more energy-saving tips for homes and businesses — as well as links to information about renewable energy and green power — visit us on the Web at www.conEd.com, at our green site, www.conEd.com/thepowerofgreen, or find us on Facebook at Power of Green.
Con Edison is also celebrating Earth Day with festivities throughout New York City and Westchester County to inspire awareness and appreciation for the environment.
- L'Oreal Employee Fair - April 20, noon to 2 p.m., 575 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Provide L’Oreal employees with sustainability and energy resources for home and work. Call 1-212-984-4051.
- Children’s Environmental Literacy Expo – April 20, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Pace University, 861 Bedford Road in Pleasantville, Westchester County. The Expo invites students to envision their role in a “green-collar” world, exposing them to inspiring, real-world examples of sustainable success. http://www.celfoundation.org/expo09/
- EarthFair 2010 Times Square, April 22, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Times Square, South Plaza, Broadway between 42nd & 43rd Streets in Manhattan. Con Edison will distribute information on energy efficiency. http://www.earthdayny.org/.
- ABC/Disney Earth Day 2010, April 22, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., 47 West 66th Street in Manhattan. Corporate Earth fair for over 1,000 employees. This year’s focus is on water quality and safety. www.Disney.com.
- The Daffodil Project Breakfast - April 22, Bryant Park Grill, between 40th Street and 42nd Street in Manhattan. Partnership with New Yorkers for Parks Breakfast; and plant daffodils throughout neglected parks and open spaces citywide. http://www.ny4p.org.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Earth Day Celebration - April 22, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m., 1000 Washington Avenue or near entrance at Flatbush Avenue and Empire Blvd. in Brooklyn. Workshops in the Discovery Garden. Call 1-718-623-7200 or visit www.bbg.org.
- Living the Green Dream - April 22, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., Baruch College/CUNY, 55 Lexington and 24th Street. The event will offer education and training on how to dramatically increase "GREEN" practices at our home and business, followed by Q & A and networking. www.23rdstreet.org. Call 1-212-255-3037.
- Time-Warner Employee Earth Fair - April 22, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Time Warner Center, One Columbus Circle in Manhattan. Provide Time Warner employees with sustainability and energy resources for home and work. Call 1-212-779-4757.
- Queens PS 242 Green Night - April 22, 6 p.m., PS 242, 136-11 31st Road in Queens. Community meeting focused on energy efficiency. Call 1-347-301-8319.
- Greenbelt Conservancy Tree Planting - April 22, 10 a.m., 200 Nevada Avenue on Staten Island. Educational programs such as Ecosystem Exploration, Pollution Investigations, and Global Warming. http://www.sigreenbelt.org/.
- Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden Earth Day – April 22, 11:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., 1000 Richmond Terrace on Staten Island. Learn how you can positively impact the environment, and discover the fun and ease of composting in your very own home or backyard. http://www.snug-harbor.org/compost.html.
- The American Museum of Natural History Environmental Luncheon – April 23, 11:30 a.m., Central Park West & 79th Street in Manhattan. Luncheon to focus on the current economic and environmental situation. http://www.amnh.org/.
- Westchester Columbia Presbyterian Hospital Employee Earth Fair – April 23, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Provide Columbia Presbyterian employees with sustainability and energy resources for home and work. in White Plains with a focus on the environment. Call 1-212-746-0204.
- Gowanus Canal Conservancy Earth Day Celebration – April 24, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., 118 2nd Avenue in Brooklyn (entrances on 9th and 12th Streets). Kick-off of the 2010 Clean and Green Program. Call 1-646-289-2759 or visit email@example.com.
- Hattie Carthan Garden Annual Earth Day Celebration - April 24, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m, Lafayette Avenue and Marcy Ave in Brooklyn. General spring cleanup of the garden. Call 1-718-599-6828.
- Alley Pond Environmental Center Arbor Day Celebration - April 24, 10 a.m. Help plant trees and shrubs in Alley Pond Park in Queens. Call 1-718-229-4000 x202 or www.alleypond.com.
- GetGreen South Bronx Earth Fest - April 24, Noon to 4 p.m., St. Mary's Park, E 147th & St. Ann's Avenue in the Bronx. This third-annual intergenerational event celebrates our environment and the South Bronx community. http://www.cenyc.org/recycling/boroughs/bronx.
- Bartow Pell Mansion Museum Clean-Up Day - April 24, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. 895 Shore Road, in the Bronx. Roll-up your sleeves at our Volunteer Garden Clean-up Day. Call 1-718-885-1461 or visit www.bartowpellmansionmuseum.org.
- EarthFair 2010 - April 23-24, Noon to 7 p.m., & April 25, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Vanderbilt Avenue near Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. Con Edison will display the company’s all-electric field inspection vehicle, and distribute information on energy conservation methods. http://www.earthdayny.org/.
- New York Restoration Project NYC Grows - April 25, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Union Square in Manhattan, Gardening festival. Visit www.nyrp.org or call 1-212-333-5225.
- Columbia Presbyterian Hospital Employee Earth Fair - April 27, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., West 168 Street in Manhattan. Provide Columbia Presbyterian employees with sustainability and energy resources for home and work. Call 1-212-746-0204.
- Kingsborough Community College Eco-Festival - April 27- 30, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., MAC Rotunda, 2001 Oriental Boulevard in Brooklyn. The event will feature keynote speakers, films, lectures, workshops, and other events and activities centered around environmental issues. http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/eco-festival/.
- “Planting Our Future” Intergenerational Arbor Day Event - April 30, 10 a.m. to noon, Von King Park Amphitheater, 670 Lafayette Avenue in Brooklyn and from noon – 2 p.m. at Hattie Carthan Garden, Lafayette Avenue and Marcy Ave in Brooklyn. A day of outside learning with school children, community gardeners and Parks officials. Call 1-718-599-6828.
- Borough of Manhattan Community College “Goin’ Green” - Throughout April, 199 Chambers Street in Manhattan. Event will inform the community about conserving energy and reducing the use of chemicals in the home. Call 1-212-817-1812.
Con Edison is a Dow Jones Sustainability Index company and has been recognized for its environmental performance by the global Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), Innovest Strategic Value Advisors, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Department of Energy and other organizations.