Con Edison Media Relations
For Immediate Release: February 9, 2010
CON EDISON GEARS UP FOR SNOWSTORM
NEW YORK -- Con Edison is closely monitoring the approaching winter storm that is expected to hit our region tonight and tomorrow. The company will have additional crews available to respond to any power outages.
Con Edison is urging any customer who loses power to notify the company by calling 1-800-75CONED. Customers can also report outages and check service restoration status online by computer or cell phone at www.conEd.com. When reporting an outage, have your Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether your neighbors have also lost power.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips to customers to help weather the possible effects of a storm:
In addition, the company is in close contact with the New York City Office of Emergency Management and the Westchester County Department of Emergency Services to coordinate storm-response if needed.
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Treat all downed wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by snow, tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Check to make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are in working order. Use candles and oil lamps with care. Also, make sure you have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on restorations of electrical service can be heard on most local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips and preparation, go to www.conEd.com
# # #