Con Edison Media Relations
For Immediate Release: April 28, 2009
Flower Power Takes Root
CON EDISON SEEDS 2ND ANNUAL NYC WILDFLOWER WEEK
NEW YORK – The largest celebration of National Wildflower Week in the country will take place here May 2-9. NYC Wildflower Week celebrates all things green and wild in the Big Apple - the hundreds of native flowers, trees, shrubs and grasses that are nestled in the five boroughs.
The celebration includes dozens of free activities, walks and talks for all New Yorkers to enjoy. Some of the events include:
- Wildflower giveaways as well as gardening tips and demonstrations throughout the day at the south side of the Greenmarket in Union Square, May 2;
- Botanical walks in all five boroughs, including: Inwood Hill Park, Bronx River Forest, Prospect Park, Alley Pond Park and Bloomingdale Park;
- A children’s interactive plant fair that includes learning about NYC native plants and touring a native plant garden at the Solar One education center in Manhattan, May 9;
- An overview of native wildflowers of NYC by Marielle Anzelone, botanist, landscape designer and founder of NYC Wildflower Week at New York University, May 1;
- A panel discussion on creating sustainable landscapes at The New School, May 4.
To find out more about NYC Wildflower Week activities, visit http://nycwildflowerweek.org.
NYC Wildflower Week is sponsored by Con Edison, supported by Hudson River Foundation’s New York City Environmental Fund and hosted by the Torrey Botanical Society.
Con Edison supports organizations that share the company’s concern for preserving and protecting the environment through conservation and beautification projects, as well as through educational and career development programs. It also recognizes the importance of conservation, recycling, reclamation efforts, and pollution prevention.
Visit www.coned.com/thepowerofgreen or call 1-800-75CONED to find more information about going green.
# # #