CON EDISON CONTINUES TO STRESS CONSERVATION
Company Urges Customers To Use Energy Wisely At Home
NEW YORK – Con Edison continues to urge its customers in New York City and Westchester County not to use any unnecessary electrical appliances and to conserve energy during the current heat wave, especially in the evening.
Conservation is particularly important as residents return home and turn on air conditioners and other large household appliances. Many parts of the company’s service area don’t reach their maximum power usage until nighttime.
Here are some practical energy saving tips to help customers conserve electricity and save on their energy costs during the heat wave:
- Turn off air conditioners, lights and any appliance when not at home and use a timer to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home;
- Set air conditioning controls no lower than 78 degrees. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so the machines will run most efficiently;
- If you have a room air-conditioning unit, close off the rooms not being used; if you have central air, block the vents in un-used or vacant rooms;
- Use a portable or ceiling fan to circulate the pre-cooled air in your air-conditioned home;
- To reduce heat and moisture in your apartment or home, use washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s generally cooler outside.
Electric supplies are sufficient to meet the projected demand for electricity this week, and company crews are ready to respond to any power outage that may occur. If any customers do experience an outage, they should:
- Contact the company by calling the 24-hour, toll-free number at 1-800-75-CONED.
- Have your home telephone number and home address readily available.
- Know that the Con Edison workforce will work around the clock to quickly restore power.
For more energy savings tips and general information, customers can visit the Con Edison website at www.coned.com or contact the company at 1-800-75-CONED. To learn more about Con Edison’s free programmable thermostat, call 1-866-521-8600 or visit www.coned.com/cool.
# # #