Con Edison Media Relations
For Immediate Release: July 26, 2005
CON EDISON OFFERS ENERGY-SAVING TIPS DURING HEAT WAVE
NEW YORK - With sweltering temperatures and humidity expected today and tomorrow, Con Edison is reminding customers to take some simple steps to stay cool while using their energy wisely during the heat wave.
The company recommends that customers take the following steps:
Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so the machines will run at peak efficiency;
Electric supplies are sufficient to meet the projected demand for electricity this week, and company crews are ready to respond to any power outage that may occur. If any customers do experience an outage, they should:
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
- Turn off air conditioners, lights and other appliances when not at home and use a timer to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home;
- Draw shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to the room, and
- Try using fans instead of air conditioners, but be sure to leave your windows open for ventilation. Fans use as little as one-tenth the energy as air conditioners.
For more energy savings tips and general information, customers can visit the Con Edison website at www.coned.com or contact the company at 1-800-75-CONED.
- Contact the company by calling the 24-hour, toll-free number at 1-800-75-CONED.
- Have their home telephone number and home address readily available.
- Know that the Con Edison workforce will work around the clock to quickly restore power.