Con Edison Media Relations
Contact: Michael Clendenin
Telephone: (212) 460-4111
For Immediate Release: August 20, 2003
CON EDISON ASKS CUSTOMERS TO USE ENERGY WISELY DURING THE HEAT WAVE
NEW YORK -- Con Edison is asking all its customers to take some simple steps to reduce their use of electricity during the heat wave that is expected to continue through Friday. While Con Edisonís system is stable, the company is asking all customers to use energy wisely, and not waste it during this time of exceedingly high electrical demand.
Con Edison advises customers to take the following steps:
The company is in constant communication with the New York City Office of Emergency Management and the Westchester County Office of Disaster and Emergency Services.
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so that machines will run at peak efficiency;
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
- Turn off air conditioners, lights and other appliances when not at home, and use a timer on your air conditioner to turn it on about a half-hour before arriving home;
- Draw shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to the room;
- Try using fans instead of air conditioners. Fans use as little as one-tenth the energy as air conditioners.