Con Edison Media Relations
Contact: Michael Clendenin
Telephone: (212) 460-4111
For Immediate Release: July 18, 2002
CON EDISON URGES CUSTOMERS TO USE ENERGY WISELY
NEW YORK - During today's hot weather, Con Edison is urging customers to reduce their use of electricity, following simple energy -saving steps.
Con Edison is asking customers to:
For more energy saving information, please visit our website at www.coned.com.
- Turn off non-essential electrical appliances.
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees: each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent.
- Shut off your air conditioner when you go out and use a timer to turn it on about a half-hour before arriving home.
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so the machines will run at peak efficiency.
- When possible, use fans instead of air conditioners, but make sure the room is well ventilated. Fans use from 70 to 90 percent less energy than air conditioners.
- Turn off lights and other appliances when you’re not home.
- Close shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to the room.