Con Edison Media Relations
Contact: Michael Clendenin
Telephone: (212) 460-4111
For Immediate Release: July 3, 2002
CON EDISON URGES CUSTOMERS TO USE ENERGY WISELY
NEW YORK - With high temperatures and humidity expected to continue for the remainder of the week, Con Edison is asking customers to turn off and/or postpone the use of non-essential electrical appliances.
The company is especially asking Westchester customers in Scarsdale, Eastchester, Greenburgh, White Plains, North White Plains, North Castle, Rye, Harrison, Mamaroneck, New Rochelle, and Port Chester to reduce their energy use because of equipment problems in those areas. We also ask customers in the southeast Bronx to continue to conserve in that area as well.
Con Edison advises customers to take the following energy-saving steps:
For more energy saving information, please visit our website at www.coned.com.
- Set air-conditioner thermostats no lower than 78 degrees: each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent.
- Shut off your air conditioner when you go out and use a timer to turn it on about a half-hour before arriving home.
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so they will run at peak efficiency.
- When possible, use fans instead of air conditioners, and open a window to ensure a healthy flow of air. Fans use from 70 to 90 percent less energy than air conditioners.
- Turn off lights and all other appliances when you’re not home.
- Close shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to the room.