Con Edison Media Relations
Contact: Michael Clendenin
Telephone: (212) 460-4111
For Immediate Release: July 2, 2002
CON EDISON REMINDS CUSTOMERS TO USE ENERGY WISELY
NEW YORK - With high temperatures and humidity projected over the next few days, Con Edison is asking customers to take some simple conservation measures to reduce their use of electricity.
Con Edison advises customers to take the following energy-saving steps:
For more energy saving information, please visit our website at www.coned.com.
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so the machines will run at peak efficiency.
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees: each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent.
- Shut off your air conditioner when you go out and use a timer to turn it on about a half-hour before arriving home.
- When possible, use fans instead of air conditioners. Fans use from 70 to 90 percent less energy than air conditioners.
- Turn off lights and other appliances when you’re not home.
- Close shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to the room.