Con Edison Media Relations
Contact: Brenda Pérez
Telephone: (212) 460-4111
For Immediate Release: August 8, 2001
CON EDISON REMINDS CUSTOMERS TO USE ENERGY WISELY
NEW YORK - During the ongoing heat wave, Con Edison continues to appeal to customers to reduce their use of electricity as much as possible.
Con Edison advises customers to take the following steps, particularly when using air conditioners:
- Set the air conditioner temperature control to 78 degrees. A 75-degree setting costs 18% more. A 72-degree setting costs 39% more.
- Use a timer. Turn off your air conditioner when no one is home and set the timer to turn the unit back on half an hour before you return.
- Make sure your air conditioner filter is clean to help it run efficiently.
- If you are buying an air conditioner during the heat wave, look for units with the Energy Star® label to ensure the unit is energy efficient.
- If you are only using the room where the air conditioner is located, close the doors to other rooms. Make sure your windows are tightly shut.
- Remember to shut off computers, VCRs and CD players. When they are in the “on” mode they use energy even if you are not using them.
- Use the washer, dryer or dishwasher later in the evening and only when you have a full load. Keep the lint filters clean in your washer and dryer for more efficient operation.