Con Edison Media Relations
Contact: Brenda Pérez
Telephone: (212) 460-4111
For Immediate Release: June 29, 2001
CON EDISON REMINDS CUSTOMERS TO USE ENERGY WISELY
NEW YORK - With high temperatures still projected over the next few days, Con Edison continues to ask customers to take some simple steps to reduce their use of electricity, which will help keep their bills as low as possible.
Con Edison advises customers to take the following steps:
- Check for drafts in houses and apartments and seal leaks with caulking or weather stripping to keep your home cool.
- Remember to shut off computers, VCRs and CD players. When they are in the “on” mode they use energy even if you are not using them.
- When buying a new air conditioner, look for the Energy Star® label to ensure the unit is energy-efficient. Adjust the air conditioner temperature control so that the room gets no cooler than 78 degrees. A 75-degree setting costs 18% more. A 72-degree setting costs 39% more.
- If you are only using the room where the air conditioner is located, close the doors to other rooms. Make sure your windows are tightly shut.
- Use reflective film on your windows. It blocks about 75% of the sun’s rays, easing the load on your air conditioner.
- Use the washer, dryer or dishwasher only when you have a full load. Keep the lint filters clean in your washer and dryer for more efficient operation.