Consolidated Edison Company of New York Customer Central header image

Customer Central
Translate the page

poweryourway frequently asked questions

Q: What are Energy Service Companies?
A: Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) can be small companies or large corporations that are registered with the Public Service Commission (PSC) and compete to sell you electricity and natural gas. They may offer energy service options and other products and services that serve your needs.

No matter which energy supplier you choose, Con Edison, as your utility, will continue to deliver the energy to your home or business. Con Edison will also respond to service emergencies.

Q: How do I enroll?
A: Contact an ESCO and hear what they have to offer. The ESCO will ask for your Con Edison account number to obtain your usage history and, with your agreement, enroll you in the program.

Q: Once I enroll, how soon will my service from my new supplier begin?

In the case of electric service, your ESCO will begin supplying your electric service on your next meter reading date, as long as you enroll 15 days prior to the date.

In the case of gas service, if you enroll by the 15th of any month, your ESCO will begin supplying your gas by the first calendar day of the following month.

Q: Will I receive the same level of customer service when I call or visit Con Edison even if I buy my electricity and natural gas from an ESCO?
A: Yes! No matter who supplies your energy, you will receive the same level of customer service from Con Edison. Con Edison will continue to deliver your electricity and gas safely and reliably. Con Edison will also respond to service emergencies.

Q: How will I be billed for service if I choose an ESCO for my energy supply?
A: If you choose an ESCO for your energy supply, you may receive two bills; one bill from the ESCO for natural gas and electricity and a delivery bill from Con Edison. Other billing options are possible. The ESCO may bill on behalf of Con Edison and include utility delivery charges in one combined bill.

Regardless of who supplies your electricity and natural gas, you will always have access to your utility billing usage and billing history, and Con Edison will only release that information with your permission.

Q: If I switch to another supplier, can I decide later to switch to another supplier or back to Con Edison again?
A: Of course, but you should always consider the terms and conditions of your agreement with your supplier if you decide to switch.

If, for any reason, you are not happy with your choice of supplier of natural gas and electricity, you can switch to another supplier, or back to Con Edison.

In the case of natural gas service, if you choose to switch back to Con Edison, you then must remain with Con Edison one year before switching to an ESCO.

Q: If I am served by an ESCO, may I still contact the PSC if I have a complaint with my service?
A: Because the delivery portion of your bill will continue to be regulated by the PSC, you can continue to register complaints with the PSC if you have a delivery service issue.

The PSC requires all ESCOs to offer convenient complaint-handling procedures and clear information on switching. You may contact the PSC to register a complaint if you have a problem with your ESCO. The PSC may not resolve your complaint but will track complaints and may take action against companies with high complaint levels. Call 1-888-NYS-PSC8, 1-888-697-7728, or you may visit the PSC Web site at and click on 'Consumer Assistance.'




contact us   |   search   |   careers   |   site map   |   consolidated edison, inc.   |   privacy policy