becoming a customer
To open your Con Edison electric and gas account, call us at 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). Our Customer Service Representatives can set up your account over the telephone. If you are calling from an area code outside of NYC or Westchester County, please call 1-212-243-1900.
Call us as soon as you know your new address. If we need a copy of your lease or any other document, you can fax it to us. Our Customer Service Representative will give you the fax number when you call.
To establish service at your new address we will need the following information:
- Service address
- Date that you assume responsibility
- Contact telephone number
- Date of birth
- Social security number
- If a social security number is not available, then a driver or non-driver license ID, passport, or alien ID number should be provided.
- If you are unable to provide us with identification, please note that a deposit will be charged to establish your account.
- Mailing address if you choose to have your bills mailed to a different address other than the service address.
- E-mail address to be added to your account
We will need to know if you, someone in your household, or a tenant, use life-sustaining equipment such as an infant apnea monitor or electrically operated respirator.
We will also need to know if you would like to enroll in the Direct Payment Plan. This is where your bills are automatically deducted out of a checking or savings account. If so, please be prepared to provide your bank's routing number along with your checking or savings account number.
If the electricity or gas is not already turned on at your new premises at the time of your call, it may take one business day to turn on the meter. We must be able to enter the premises to turn on gas service.
Con Edison provides steam service in Manhattan south of 96th Street. For information on how to apply for steam service, to upgrade your meter station, or to find out how our technical team can help you, click here.